The SportCat from Coleman is designed for camping and outdoor adventure. Weighing only 2.5 pounds, this heater is one of the most lightweight on the market today. The manufacturer boasts of its PerfecTemp catalytic technology, which helps give out “safe, efficient, flameless heat.”
In this Coleman SportCat heater review, we find out more about this portable heater. Is it worth it? What are its pros and cons? See our analysis and recommendation.
Important Notes about the SportCat from Coleman
- It has an easy-grip integrated handle.
- It has a detachable base for when you need it.
- It can run for up to 14 hours on a single 16.4-ounce can of propane.
- It does NOT have a thermostat.
- It doesn’t have an auto-shut off mechanism.
Pros of the Coleman SportCat (2000004163)
– Design. The SportCat is compact, so it doesn’t need a large space for storage or operation.
– Ease of Use. Although it doesn’t have an automatic ignition system, it is easy to light.
– Noise. This is a silent heater.
– Performance. Coleman claims that it lasts for up to 14 hours, but one buyer said it runs for about 8 hours on one can of propane, which should still be good. Also, one consumer has observed that this does not run out in the middle of the night.
– Heat / Warmth. The general consensus is that this heater gives off very strong heat. “You can burn yourself,” one consumer says.
Cons of the Coleman SportCat Heater
– Odor. At least two buyers have complained about a “strong pungent oil odor” when they used it the first time.
– Features. The SportCat‘s lack of auto ignition system is not a big deal, but if you don’t want lighting a flame in every usage, this can be an inconvenience. You might also find that its lack of fuel settings, thermostat, and an auto-shut off system an inconvenience.
– Heat. This can melt plastic.
Tips for Better Performance of the SportCat
– We’ve noted the strong oil odor in the Cons section. To get rid of this, it’s advisable to try this heater outside first.
– Since it can burn your skin and melt plastic, you can create a cage around it to prevent any of these from happening..
The Coleman SportCat can keep you toasty warm during your camping trips. But take note that this is a compact heater, so there’s a limit to the amount of space it can heat up efficiently.
More Indoor Space Heater Reviews...
- Dr. Infrared Heater DR968 Review
- Review of the Buddy Propane Heater (F232000) from Mr. Heater
- Mr. Heater Blue Flame Propane Vent-Free Heater Review (VF30KBLUELP)
- DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Panel Heater Review
- Dura Heat DH2304 Kerosene Heater Review
- Lasko 755320 Ceramic Tower Heater Review
- Sengoku CV-2230 KeroHeat Convection Heater Review